One Health Central and Eastern Africa is a network of 14 Public Health and Veterinary Higher Education Institutions that are located in six countries in the Eastern and Central African region, including the Congo Basin which is considered to be a ‘hot spot’ for infectious diseases.
This key client of FCM Uganda requires frequent group travel bookings due to the high number of conferences attended annually. FCM has been managing the domestic and international air requirements for OHCEA since 2012 which involves mostly travel within Africa, to the USA and Europe.
- Costly group bookings due to inefficient sourcing and planning of travel to key conferences annually.
- High travel expenses.
- OHCEA expressed a need to reduce travel costs due to budgetary restrictions imposed by the organisation’s funders.
OHCEA needed an experienced business travel partner with the ability to organise cost-efficient group bookings for their international travel to reduce overall cost and maximise travel budgets. A number of tactics were taken by FCM Uganda including:
- Enrolled OHCEA into a frequent flyer program to maximise on reward flights and lower overall costs.
- FCM Uganda negotiated a corporate discount of 4% with their preferred airline to further drive down cost.
- Regular push of special deals on airfares to the client to assist with take up of the deals if they have any travel plans during that particular period.
- Implemented a strict travel policy that emphasises on booking early and minimising cancellations and reservation changes.
- With the 4% corporate discount attributed to the KQ Tripartite agreement, FCM has delivered OHCEA air savings in excess of $19k in a 12 month period.
- Travel booked using reward flights where available to reduce travel costs.
- Reduced cost on group bookings by coordinating flights and maximising the negotiated corporate discount.
The OHCEA response
“We highly appreciate everything that you did to get the participants to and from Uganda for the second OHCEA International One Health Conference. The feedback received from conference participants affirms your commitment to excellence.”
Communications Officer, OHCEA